United States Show map
By now you’re probably well aware of all the incredible benefits of cardio. Those heart racing, blood pumping, can-barely-catch-your-breath workouts can leave us feeling ah-mazing. But what about strength training?! Unlike some cardio workouts, strength training includes exercises such as weight lifting, resistance bands, and weight machines. Since we naturally lose muscle mass as we age (oh, joy!), it’s important to incorporate some form of strength training into your overall fitness routine. And like cardio, the benefits are well worth it.
Here are 5 reasons why you should get on the strength training train:
- Builds Bone Density: Strong bodies have strong bones, and strength training can significantly increase your bone density.
- Builds Muscle Mass: Muscle mass naturally decreases as we age, but strength training can actually reverse that. With regular strength training, you’ll see an increase in your lean muscle mass.
- Joint Flexibility: Keeping your joints healthy and flexible will help you to stay mobile as you age. Strength training is proven to increase your joint flexibility and decrease the symptoms of stiffness and even arthritis.
- Increased Balance: Maintaining a strong sense of balance becomes increasingly important as we age, and the risks associated with falling increase. Strength training works to increase your sense of balance and reduce your risk of falls and injury.
- Better Cardiovascular Health: One of the biggest benefits of weight lifting and strength training is lowering the probability of life-altering heart attacks and strokes. Pretty incredible, right?! And the best part is, there are several simple strength training exercises you can do right from the comfort of your own home, with nothing but a yoga mat, simply by using your own body weight!