We believe in an open environment in which each child is free to investigate and experiment. Play is a child's way of learning. Through play a child meets new challenges and gains understanding of his/her environment. A trained teacher and assistant are with the children at all times. The curriculum offers a balance of individual and group activities designed to promote creativity, self-esteem, language development, cognitive skills, physical fitness, environment awareness and social skills.
The West Tokyo Preschool prepares children to:
- Express effectively through verbal and non-verbal communication for social and academic purposes.
- Become literate in reading and writing the English language.
- self-confidence and self-awareness about themselves.
- self-awareness about their environmental surroundings.
- Develop an understanding and appreciate different ethnicities, cultures, gender, and values.
- Develop an understanding and/or awareness about communities.
- Become participants in contributing to the communities.
- Become effective and analytical thinkers and problem solvers.
The lessons and/or activities provided in the classroom setting comply with these goals and meet the standards of the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), Council of Exceptional Children (CEC), and Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL).